Sunday, March 20, 2011

Warming up the living room

A week or so ago we tackled the dreaded fireplace. Obviously, functionally this caused no real hindrance but it was really like a bad hair cut. I couldn't stop staring at it in and it made the whole room less attractive.
Oh, also, we put most of our stuff away. Or at least shoved it into corners.

The dream I had was to find a mirror that covered the plywood area. But to find a mirror of the exact framed dimensions proved to be a problem. And that was just the size problem, not even talking about cost of mirrors.

Cue Ikea. I don't think I've mentioned, this is the closest I've ever lived to an Ikea before and this is wonderful to me. They had a mirror that was about 3 inches shorter in all dimensions and was 14 dollars. I saw a perfect opportunity to not just cover the mirror but bring some fun color into the room.

ET, Phone home.

I made a quick trip to Lowe's, bought one of those "sampler size" paint cans that cost 3 dollars and...

17 dollars later the room had an instant facelift!

I'm still struggling with the shelving arrangements, and we desperately need a rug.


But boy oh boy, I sure do love our fireplace!

No comments:

Post a Comment